Wednesday 5 September 2012

Since I Can't Go To Tiffany's...

I woke up with a small case of the Mean Reds and decided to dress accordingly. Some people dress down when they don't feel entirely themselves. I dress up.

Skirt: J. Crew Outlet, Shoes: Clarks, Shirt: Polo Ralph Lauren,  Sunglasses: Ray-Ban, Jewelry: From A Relative, of Otherwise Mysterious Origin
Please excuse the mirror picture, the sloppiness of my room, and my slightly rumpled appearance. On some days it's all one can do to make oneself presentable - taking a good picture would have been entirely too much to ask today. In fact, making myself presentable seemed almost too much today - I briefly considered the jeans-and-tee shirt route. If I had, though, I wouldn't have gotten one of the best and most surprising compliments I've gotten since coming back to school.

As I sat down with my roommate in a popular campus gathering place to soak up some sunshine and soothe my frazzled post-botched-pop-quiz nerves, she said, "I know you won't believe me, but when I was sort of scanning the crowd, not looking for you, I thought, 'WHO is that person? She looks perfect.'"

I was tickled pink. My roommate is one of the most stylish people I know, and not an empty flatterer by any means. (Translation: When I look dumb, she tells me, lovingly but bluntly.) And after all, I had fairly modest expectations for my day, and being told that my attempt to emulate even the most casual of the most iconic film star's onscreen looks was "perfect" was a lovely surprise.

Image courtesy of moviedearest.blogspot.com
I was surprised, but I suppose it goes to show that taking cues from Audrey in anything, especially Breakfast at Tiffany's, is always a good idea - even when one feels more like one is swinging wildly between Patricia Neal's character in the same film and Bridget Jones in other area's of one's life. It's a start.

No comments:

Post a Comment